We're Vegans Now

An important part of this journey is embracing a new lifestyle with a new way of eating. We chose to become vegans and understand this lifestyle is not for everybody. We make no judgments against people with different views and ask the same in return. We're two people who love eating and as we undergo a transformation the food is a fundamental part of it.



Sunday, October 10, 2010

Too Many Chips Spoil the Diet

This week has been a really crappy food week for us, maybe a little worse for me than for Lora because of an extra basket of chips.



The first problem came when I had a meeting with my boss and an employee right before lunch. I'd made tabbouleh for lunch the night before and was all set to be healthy. My ADD boss insisted that we all go to lunch at the Mexican joint next door despite my insisting multiple times that I was on a diet. The analyst who was with us looked at me pleading not to be left alone with ADD boss. So, I went. And the boss paid for it, which was nice. But I have absolutely zero control around chips and salsa. I inhaled what must have been a whole basket of chips before my two veggie tacos came. I felt sick all afternoon and full of regret.

The next day went okay, but then come Thursday and happy hour with work friends Lora and I sucked down three margaritas each, tons of chips and appetizers and cheese. We felt awful the next morning. But come Furlough Friday noonish we felt ready for an outing.

Friday started out well. We had a big bowl of fruit and a few almonds for breakfast. We went out to run errands and got salad from Plutos, making wise choices. Not ready to go home we went for a drive down in the Delta and happened on the charming hamlet of Clarksburg. There was a cute corner store/deli. We stopped to get a glass of wine. Yum.

Then....we went wine-tasting and it all went wrong for the diet and the bank account. We had so much fun, but spent a ton of money and had plenty of wine. Then, of course, we were hungry and ate at the nearest restaurant where we devoured fried zucchini, salad, enormous bowls of white pasta with garlic bread and more wine.

Saturday morning rolled around and we felt sick of spirit and thick with salt. We skipped Weight Watchers but resolved to get right back on the wagon.

So far it's been mostly good. Yesterday after Riley's games we stopped at Adalberto's and even though I totally didn't have to I ate chips and salsa. The rest of the day was good, just a salad for dinner.

Today's been great. We had potatoes O'Brien for breakfast cooked with fake bacon but no oil and topped with soy cheese and salsa, and a berry smoothie with almond milk. Lunch was a salad with avocado, black beans, tomatoes, peppers, and a no-oil cilantro and green chili salad dressing. Dinner was seitan stew with potatoes, carrots, celery and peas. Totally fall like and Sunday dinner-esque. Lora pulled some out mid -afternoon and made a super tasty amuse-bouche with a coffee, worcestershire and brown sugar sauce. I love seitan! We had two glasses of one of our wine finds.

So here is my promise to myself this week:

1. No restaurants that serve chips and salsa. No restaurants at all is best.

2. No combining drinks with places that serve no healthy choices of food. For example, I give myself carte blanche to order drinks if we eat at a place where I can get an oil free veggie burger and salad.

Also I've got to shake this funk and get out and exercise more. Work makes me so stressed and glum I just want to curl up and indulge in escapism. I guess a walk with Lora, Riley and the dogs would be a good antidote to the blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment