We're Vegans Now

An important part of this journey is embracing a new lifestyle with a new way of eating. We chose to become vegans and understand this lifestyle is not for everybody. We make no judgments against people with different views and ask the same in return. We're two people who love eating and as we undergo a transformation the food is a fundamental part of it.



Monday, October 18, 2010

Feelin' Bleu Over Cheese

Without blue cheese and bacon burgers, a cornerstone of my food pyramid fell away. Cold turkey I quit the burger and the bacon and the cheese. One month, two weeks later I'm missing burgers and bacon at least a little, but I am totally craving cheese. Like the little vegan cheater I am, I've sprinkled parmesan on my pasta, and quietly refrained from holding the sour cream and shredded cheese on my Mexican take out.

My sinuses pay the price for sneaking dairy. About an hour or two after consuming it, my sinuses get all stuffy and start draining. The feeling is really unpleasant. Quitting dairy is one of the best moves I've made for my health. The clear sinuses and clear lungs are so very worth it. So, how can I stop craving the stupid cheese?? I have no idea. There really are no suitable substitutes for cheese. The closest approximation of melted cheese texture I've found is daiya cheese, but the flavor is still rather lacking. Daiya has "Italian" and "Mexican" varieties, but they lack the satisfying bite of real cheese. Someone over at The Kindlife who went vegan says just stick with avoiding dairy for a full 6 weeks because the cravings can really last, so maybe this is my body having it's last dying gasp of cheese cravings. Dunno.

As far as the weight loss goes, doing OK. It seems like this is the slowest progress I've ever made in my weight loss efforts. Could be my age. Which sucks. A lot. Well, also I guess it's the highest weight I've started from. However, as slow as the weight loss is in pounds, it's been great in inches/centimeters. I'm up to 14.4 pounds now and not entirely sure how many inches. My pants are getting much looser though and most especially my middle innertube roll is shrinking significantly. Not eating dairy (and fried foods) seems to have the greatest impact on the pesky gut rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment